Customs Specialist (Oil & Gas)
Contract: Full-time (40h);
Languages: English and preferably Dutch
Where will you work?
The company you will work for is a global firm which is active in more than 70 countries. Respect, Honesty and Integrity are their core values and together with +80k colleagues worldwide you are daily working according to these values. What does this mean for you? Trust, teamwork, professionalism and pride are being promoted when conducting your tasks and responsibilities. If you need support, a certified learning and development team is there for you to help and reaching your goals.
The organisation trades the equivalent of about 14 million barrels of oil per day - this is made up of crude oil, refined products, chemicals, natural gas, electrical power, bio fuels and environmental products. With the skill base and international scope to capitalise on trading opportunities in the companies asset and market positions around the world, their key trading and marketing operations are based in North and South America, Asia, the Middle East and Europe. Health, Safety., Security and Environment is at the core of what they do and every individual is contributing to this value every single day.
About the role
The purpose of the Global Customs Advisor is to ensure the quality handling of all customs and excise matters within Europe in line with the local legislation and global and regional Customs Policy. You will be part of the Commercial Operations team where you will be the focal point for Trade Control supporting their relevant Trading & Supply line for all custom related matters. In addition, you will ensure activities are handled with full compliance with applicable customs regulations and internal requirements in an optimal and efficient manner. Everybody involved is responsible for the right execution of the process and the advise and training provided by you will be an essential factor in this.
In this role you will be mainly responsible for implementing and managing the customs policies and processes based on best practices and frameworks. This means you will be closely working with operations itself and so the role offers a lot of exposure towards the business. You will be able to identify risks and opportunities and recommend actions based on your analyses and experience, not only towards the team but also to your stakeholders in IT and Finance. For example; you will liaise with the IT team to enhance customs and excise aspects within the companies IT environment. You will also work with the Trade Compliance team and Indirect tax to remedy any potential non-compliance or concerns.
You can imagine that the role of Global Customs Advisor is a challenging and complex role to fulfil in such a changing environment. The opportunity is unique as they are able to expend the team due the growth of their business which is a result of their innovations. You will be working together with 4 other colleagues for the same desk (product portfolio), including the team leader, which are all recently new in their role as well.
In addition, your role will also include;
- Supporting import and export operations within Europe, including cooperation with the customs brokers/agents and terminal, oversight of customs authorities requirements within Europe and customs documentation needed to support the trading flow of goods;
- Set-up a control framework for customs brokers used by the company in order to assist operational team with local customs compliance work;
To qualify yourself for this job opportunity, you can recognise yourself in the following;
Compliance is a foundation of the way in which the department is doing their business and therefore integrity is one of the fundamental values that we are seeking as part of Trading & Supply. We believe integrity is the hallmark of a person who demonstrates sound moral and ethical principles during their work. It is essential that the successful candidate will be able to give clear examples of integrity as one of your core values.
- Bachelor or Masters degree with a background in Customs, Customs Law, Trade Law or similar;
- + 5 years of working experience in customs and excise matters in a similar industry or Big 4 (required). Your expertise in energy or commodity trading is an advantage;
- Extensive knowledge of European customs laws and regulations as well as the international customs legislation's (WCO & WTO);
- You have experience in cross functional collaboration - Interaction between Customs, regulatory, Excise duties, VAT, export controls etc.;
What will you get in return;
You will have the opportunity to work for an international company and accelerate your career related to International Trade. There is always someone ready to jump in and help out, and the same is expected of you. Furthermore, they believe that hard work should pay off, creating new opportunities for you to grow.
- Full time workweek (40hrs) with the possibility to work from home
- 12 months contract provided by JP Gray with the intention to take over (permanent)
- 25 holidays + ATV
- A competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Travel expenses when applicable (currently working remote) or working from home allowance.
If you are interested in this role please apply via the website, Linked In or contact Jeanine Tukker via j.tukker(a)jpgray.nl. I would be more than happy to answer your questions in case you have them.
We always strive to respond to all applications within 5 working days. Sometimes due to the number of responses we cannot, as well if you do not meet the language requirement no response will be submitted. If you have not received a reply we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates.
NOTE: Only applicants from candidates who are living in the Netherlands will be revised.